IHow to Change Blades on a Rover Lawn Mower? f you have noticed missed patches in the grass after mowing, your lawn mower is not cutting it properly. The mower blades wear out fwith use and, therefore, should be changed to keep your mower in the best cutting shape. You can easily keep your lawn healthy and mow less frequently with sharp, clean blades. One of the most common issues for dull blades is mowing wet grass. That’s why the best lawn mower for wet grass is highly recommended by professionals. The issue with dull blades is that they don’t properly cut grass and leaves uneven grass surfaces with odd appearances. However, replacing the blade on a mower is one tricky task. Let’s take a look at how to change blades on a rover lawn mower.
Changing Blades on a Rover Lawn mower
- The first thing you need to do is to lift the deck to expose the blades. Now check the carburetor and oil section to ensure that you are not tilting the lawn mower in such a way as to spill all over the grass, engine, and yourself. The best way is to tilt your mower back towards the handle and prop it using some kind of weight. You can also check the user manual for other recommended techniques by the manufacturer.
- Make sure there is no gas in the mower. Drain out all the gas with a siphon hose. Self-siphon pumps prevent gas spillage onto the lawn mower body.
- Don’t forget to unplug the spark plug. This is an ideal way to prevent electrical flare-up or short-out if any oil should come in contact with the spark plug.
- Now remove the blade mounting bolt using a socket wrench. Use your other hand to prevent the mower blade from turning. Don’t lose any washers or mounting hardware which can be reused.
- Pay attention to the position of the blade when removing it, as you must mount the new one in a similar orientation.
- You can easily find replacement blade kits for a rover lawn mower at most home improvement or hardware stores. The kit comes with new pre-weighted, sharpened blades along with the replacement nuts.
- There are lawn mowers with a bottom cap on which separate short blades are attached, whereas some also have a single long blade. Tilt your mower back to inspect the blade. If you are unable to do so, you can ask a nearby hardware store owner to help you choose the blade for your lawn mower.
- Now mount the new blade in the proper direction. Appropriately Lineup the blades as they were placed before and then reinstall the washers and nut. If the nuts are rusted, it is better to use new ones of the same size. There should be torque specs provided in the user manual to tighten the nut. Don’t over-tighten and wrap the blade as it can cause vibrations in the lawn mower.
- Typically mower blades are either universal or specific fit. Make sure you have the same length as the old blade before you mount the new one. Carefully tighten the new blade onto the bolts. Prevent yourself from the blade as it will be sharper than the old blade.
- The best to way protect your hands is by using thick mechanic gloves. Use a small wood piece to stop up the mower blade from turning when reinstalling it. Experts recommend jamming a small wood piece between the mower deck and the blade to prevent things from turning.
- After installing, check your blade for play. Make sure that the blade is mounted properly and there are no wobbles when you move the blade up and down. Remove any props or jacks used for holding the rover lawn mower in place and wait for about one hour for the oil to return to the motor to avoid any motor damages. Don’t forget to check the oil before using it to ensure it is within the proper limits.
- Now refill the gas tank before mowing. Also, check the air filter to ensure that the oil didn’t saturate the foam filter. Your lawn mower is ready to cut the grass more effectively with sharp new blades.
Maintaining the lawn mower blades in proper shape is good for the mower, lawn, and you. A sharp blade perfectly cuts grass rather than shear them and helps to keep your lawn healthy and attractive. However, mower blades may get dull with regular use and thus needs to be changed on time. Don’t forget to check the user manual before buying new pair for your rover lawn mower to avoid any inconvenience.
Leave a Reply