When cutting grass, you probably have to work at high speed to mow often and ensure your lawn is kept neat. However, sometimes during these intense mowing sessions, the blade just doesn’t cut as well as it could. That’s when it’s time to sharpen the blade! In this article, we’ll show you how to sharpen a lawnmower blade with a bench grinder so that you can quickly make your blade sharper and keep your lawn looking great!
Why do you need to sharpen a lawnmower blade?
A lawnmower blade is designed to cut through the grass, but it can become dull over time. This can cause the lawnmower to struggle when cutting through the grass and can also lead to accidents.
You could be simply too busy to sharpen the blades on your lawnmower. With reduced maintenance, you can expect a longer lifespan for your equipment. If you’re regularly cutting grass, you will need sharp blades every so often. If you do not pay regular attention to your lawnmower’s blade, then over time, it can become dull and won’t cut as well. You may encounter problems with your machine cutting through the grass or accidents when cutting through thick grass. Sharpening can help prevent the lawnmower from struggling when cutting through thick grass and could save lives in the process!
What is a Bench Grinder?
A Bench Grinder is a tool that is used to sharpen lawnmower blades. It is a small, portable device that can be used at home.
The Bench Grinder is made up of a number of different parts. The main part is the grinding wheel. This is where the blade is sharpened. Next, there is the base. This contains the motor and gears that help to sharpen the blade. Finally, there are the positions for the handle and arm. These allow you to hold the device in different ways so that you can get a better angle on the blade. If you have a lawnmower that needs to be sharpened, then you should definitely consider using a bench grinder to do it. It is a simple, easy way to get your lawnmower blade back in shape.
How to Sharpen A Lawnmower Blade With A Bench Grinder
Lawnmower blades can be sharpened using a bench grinder. Here are the basic steps:
1. Place the blade on the grinding wheel and secure it with the clamp.
2. Turn the grinder on to its lowest speed and position the blade to touch one of the grinding wheels.
3. Hold the trigger and wait for the blade to start turning. Keep your hand close to the wheel in case it starts to move, and release the trigger when you see sparks flying from the blade.
4. Repeat these steps until the blade is sharpened to your desired edge.
5. Turn the wheel in a clockwise direction until the blade is sharpened to your desired angle.
Tips for Using a Bench Grinder
When you’re sharpening your lawnmower blade using a bench grinder, be sure to keep the following tips in mind:
1. Start with a rougher grit than what you plan to finish with. This will help to remove any nicks or ridges in the blade that can cause it to skip and cut incorrectly.
2. Work the blade back and forth across the grinder’s spinning wheel. Don’t move it up and down, as this will cause more wear on the blade and is less effective.
3. Use a light touch when striking the blade against the anvil, as too much pressure can cause it to crack.
4. Finish sharpening by stroking the blade along the grinder’s cutting edge in a back-and-forth motion, using medium-to-high pressure.
5. Clean the grinder and blade after use with a damp cloth and mild soap.
6. Store the grinder and blade in a clean, dry place.
7. Replace the blade every six to twelve months, depending on use.
8. Check the manufacturer’s instructions for specific sharpening instructions for your mower blade.
Things to Consider When Finishing
When it comes to sharpening lawnmower blades, it’s important to take into account a few things. First, make sure the blade is fitted properly onto the grinder. Second, be sure to use the correct grit of sandpaper. And finally, be careful not to overheat the blade or the grinder. With these tips in mind, you’ll be able to sharpen your lawnmower blades with ease.
Fitting the Blade on the Grinder
First, make sure that the grinder is properly lubricated to fit the blade onto the grinder. Then, place the blade onto the grinder. Make sure the blade is centered on the grinder stone and press down evenly. Next, use a honing stone to achieve a sharp edge.
Using the Right Grit of Sandpaper
To determine which grit of sandpaper to use, the first test out the blade on a piece of scrap wood. Start with fine grit and work your way up to a coarser grit. Be sure to use enough sandpaper to cover both sides of the blade.
So, this was everything you needed to know about sharpening a lawn mower blade with a bench grinder. Now that you know how to do it, you’re ready to start sharpening your lawnmower blades on a regular basis. With a few simple steps, you’ll be able to keep your lawnmower working like new.
Don’t miss to check our new guide about Best Gas Push Lawn Mower in 2022.
Leave a Reply