Accidentally leaving a gas stove on with or without flame can happen to anyone. It is not limited to the gas stove, sometimes, you can forget to turn off the coffee pot or leaving the oven with power on. It is usually the result of a careless attitude so, self-introspection is required. But the key question is what to do if you leave the gas stove on without flame?
Here are some recommendations if you have left the gas stove on with or without flame…
Recommendations: If You Leave the Gas Stove On without Flame
- If you smell gas which is just like rotten eggs, open your windows immediately so that they can be ventilated.
- Make sure all the knobs on your stove are properly turned off.
- Avoid creating a flame and turning on the lights without any reason.
- Get everyone out of the house if necessary and call the emergency helpline immediately.
- Use a UL or CSA-approved combustible gas leak/carbon monoxide detector.
Some Safety Tips for Gas Stove
Here are some recommendations listed below to be on the safe side if you use a gas stove.
- Has your gas stove inspected by an experienced plumber every year?
- Always have one gas and smoker detector installed in your house like the one we previously mentioned.
- Always turn the kitchen exhaust on when using the gas stove.
- Only use pots and pans that cover the entire stove burner. Flames should never come up the sides of a pot or a pan.
- Never use cookware with wooden handles to avoid fire hazards. Always use the best cookware for gas stove to be on the safe side.
- Don’t leave the gas stove unattended while using it. If you need to go somewhere, always make someone stand near it.
- The use of safety knobs is recommended for kids and senior citizens with dementia or Alzheimer’s disease.
- After you have used the stove, wait for the burners to cool down and then wipe off the stove after every use
- Clean the gas stove cooking grates and burners every week with warm soapy water. Remove the debris by using a brush and toothpick in the burner holes.
- Always refrain from pouring water on a gas stove fire. If it is a small fire, put a lid on the pot and turn off the burner. If the fire is getting out of control, use the fire extinguisher with wet towels and baking soda to put the fire out.
Is Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Caused by Leaving Gas Stove On?
All gas stoves emit carbon monoxide when using them so there is a possibility of carbon monoxide poisoning. It depends on the time the stove is left on for and the ventilation in the stove area. It is pertinent to have the windows always opened in the stove area to have the proper ventilation to decrease the chances of carbon monoxide poisoning.
Signs of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning
The general signs of carbon monoxide poisoning are nausea, dizziness, headaches, and general malaise like flu. If anybody in your house is experiencing these symptoms then it may be signs of carbon monoxide poisoning. Also, watch out for your pets as they may experience these symptoms before you do. Your pets may show symptoms like vomiting, uncoordinated movements, irritable behavior, and drowsiness.
Is it Life-Threatening to Leave the Gas Stove On?
Leaving the gas stove on can prove life-threatening in several ways:
- Suffocation from the emitted carbon monoxide.
- Fire eruption from a burning stove.
- Gas leaks can occur even if the stove is off so do have the gas detectors and alarms installed in your house.
- Don’t follow the chefs as they can leave the gas stove unattended because of their experience and knowledge.
How Long Can You Leave a Gas Stove On?
This is a trick question. If the burner has nothing on it, it will emit carbon monoxide in a very little amount which is considered safe. If there is a pot on the burner, carbon monoxide will be produced in a large number which is harmful. A gas stove can produce carbon monoxide anywhere from 100 to 800 ppm when in use which is within the AHRI limits. But the bottom line is to not leave the gas stove unattended.
Do Gas Stoves Turn Off Automatically?
It depends on what model of gas stove you have. Some models do have a built-in automatic shutoff device that disconnects the propane supply to the stove. It is recommended to check the manual of your particular model or contact the manufacturer. You can also purchase and install the automatic has shutoff device in your gas stove to help keep you safe. There are some devices available that will disconnect the gas supply after it hasn’t detected any movement in the kitchen area for 5 minutes.
How Long Does It Take for Natural Gas to Dissipate?
Two types of gasses are normally used for house kitchens and both have different dissipation times.
- Propane gas dissipates in about 2 hours.
- Natural gas dissipates in about 1 hour.
It is recommended to not turn on any electric device during the dissipation time as it can spark a flame especially in case of a gas leak. It is better to leave the house until it has been cleared by the first responder force.